Thursday, December 24, 2009
Thursday, December 17, 2009
1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Holiday spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.
2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. It's rare.. You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!
3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.
4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.
5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Holiday party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?
6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.
7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.
9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.
10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Re-read tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner. Remember this motto to live by:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. Rather one should skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Posted by mom x 2 at 8:50 AM
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Posted by mom x 2 at 9:43 PM
Saturday, December 12, 2009
I've recently reconnected with old friends from high school, and one of them has started her very own blog. Hopefully she won't share all of the stories from high school haha. Actually, she probably won't share any since it's not that kind of blog. But, all of YOU, should head on over and check it out! Talk about being in the Christmas spirit! Adventures in Decorating is definitely going to get you there!!
Posted by mom x 2 at 3:05 PM
Friday, December 11, 2009
Oh my goodness! It's Friday ! AGAIN! ALREADY? WtH?
- Been super busy- as if my lack of posting is not already an indication of that, but thought I would at least put it out there in case there might be someone who thinks I've not been busy and just been neglecting all of you....
- High school football is over. Our boys (not mine, I have a cheerleader and a wrestler remember) were the regional champs this year for the 2nd time in 3 years! That's pretty amazing for a school that has only been around since 2003. Plus just 4 years ago they were 0-10. That's real bad!- Anyway, they played in the state semi final game against a team that was ranked 25 in the nation and was on a 28 game winning streak in the FREAZING freakin' rain on a MUDDY field! They lost. But only by 3 points. So, the season is over. But it was a heck of a ride. No more cheering for football. Cheerleader girl is sad, but warm and dry.
- BUD GOT HIS LICENSE. I feel the need to shout that from the roof tops for all of my town to hear so they can be on the look out of that red mustang coming down the road! Ha, just kidding Bud (not that you read this or anything). I am so proud of him! He was so tired of depending on his sister to take him everywhere. Now, not so much :)
- Wrestling season has started. I love that my son plays a sport. Wrestling is not my favorite sport though. I love, love, love, to watch MY son wrestle, but not everyone else's son (or daughter, let me please not discriminate against the girls out there). So now I will get the opportunity again... because, well, wrestling season has started. The good thing though, Bud will have a starting spot on the Varsity team (assuming he can make weight).... FINALLY after lots and lots of wrestling matches.
- The Christmas decorations are up! 2 trees and lots of other stuff. Too bad there won't be many presents under the tree thanks to CG's accident and Bud's license. Maybe I could wrap up match box car replicas of their cars. Think that will fly? Well it just may have to. We are in a recession after all.
- My husband got invited to the inauguration of our new governor. I think that's pretty cool, even though I am not sure what he did to get an "official" invite. Ha- everyone probably got one, but I still think its cool. I've never been to an inauguration. What does one wear? Maybe I should ask the Salahis.
- I heard Tiger Woods is changing his name to Cheetah. I thought it was an appropriate change under the circumstances. So far none of the women he has been accused of having affairs with have been "cougars." I mean if they were he could start his own zoo.
- I think I am out of stuff to talk about, well probably not, but that's enough for now.....I'll move on now and try not to be away for so long next time!
Happy Friday everyone!
Posted by mom x 2 at 2:40 PM
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Friday, November 20, 2009
Thursday, November 19, 2009
- One more day until the weekend!
- The weather is yucky here….. again.
- I have another cold.
- Probably because the weather is yucky….. again.
- My kid’s high school football team continues their season this weekend with play off games. That means CG will be cheering…. Still.
- I love high school football.
- But not when I have a cold.
- I hope it won’t be cold and yucky.
- Wrestling season has started. I think I am happy about that. It’s still up for debate.
- Bud finishes his behind the wheel portion of driver's ed on Saturday and will officially have his driver's license.
- After CG’s accident, I am NOT happy about that and it has nothing to do with having a cold.
- The insurance company has finally settled on CG’s car. Now we just have to replace it. That is not making anyone happy.
- One more day until the weekend.
Posted by mom x 2 at 8:53 AM
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Bud: "MOM, WE NEED YOU RIGHT NOW!"
Momx2: "What happened?"
Bud: "CHEERLEADER GIRL HIT A TREE!"
Momx2: "WHAT!!!!OMG!!!! ARE YOU GUYS OK?!?!?!?!?!!?"
Bud: "Yes, her lip is bleeding and the car is kind of a mess, but I think we are ok"
Momx2: "THANK YOU GOD FOR WATCHING OVER MY CHILDREN!"
Yesterday afternoon, the above conversation occured between my son and me shortly after his sister ran off the road and slammed her car into a tree. Due to the lovely nor'easter we have been having here, the roads are VERY wet, the yards are VERY muddy and the wind has been blowing VERY hard. As a result, driving has proven to be somewhat difficult. The road she was on is narrow and winding and not the most fun to drive on a dry, sunny day. Her right, front tire slipped of the side of the road, and she skidded in the mud only to come to a stop after the car collided with a tree.
I cannot begin to describe the fear that ripped through me, first when I got the dreaded call, and again when I rolled up on the scene of the accident. I had already called my parents, who live only a short (at the time probably very long) 5 minutes away and they arrived before I did. Fire, rescue and police were also there. There is nothing more scary then red and blue lights, knowing your children were somehow involved.
Posted by mom x 2 at 7:40 PM
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
But fame is theirs - and future days
On pillar'd brass shall tell their praise;
Shall tell - when cold neglect is dead -
"These for their country fought and bled."
Posted by mom x 2 at 9:53 AM
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
SHE WAS ACCEPTED!!!
Still don’t know if she will go, but it is one down……
I think I’ll go find that bungee cord now.
Posted by mom x 2 at 11:39 AM
Sunday, November 8, 2009
I don't have pictures to post, I'll leave that to my fellow attendees, because well, I FORGOT my CAMERA, and my phone takes crappy pics.
I was unable to attend Friday's festivities, but on Saturday, The Salesman and I ventured over the bridge into the
humongous teeny town of Urbanna for the 52nd Annual Urbanna Oyster Festival. It is such a quaint little place with 4 billion people. Well maybe not 4 billion, maybe it was only 2 billion, but who knew you could put so many people in one little town. Of course when you don't let cars in, it's a little easier I guess. Okay, Okay, maybe not 2 billion, but there were A LOT of people.
There was food GALORE! It was like going to the fair, but better! We had the best clam chowder I have ever eaten. And butterfly fries, and crabcakes, and roasted cashews and WINE! Yes, there was wine tasting. $10 got you a wine glass and an all day pass to the taste the wines of many of the Virginia wineries. We drank lots, and bought more! My favorite of the day was White Meteor from White Fences Vineyard, in Irvington, VA. Hmmm, may just have to take a trip there, as soon as I find out where the heck Irvington, VA is ;) Oh and there were lots and lots of booths with people selling their wares. Everything from apple jelly to zebra print purses. Yes we spent money, what can I say.
The best part of the day was meeting up with BHE, Mental P Mama, CBW and Bud, Noe Noe Girl, Little T (even if he did call me Atlee) and CW, all at BHE's dad's house for the parade. I missed the Fireman's Parade on Friday,
and I can still hear, unlike the others but Saturday's parade was a site to see. The parade wrapped all around the town, literally! It ended where it started and in order to get to the start/finish, the leaders had to stop to let the end come around so they could complete the loop. (I'm pretty sure that statement doesn't make sense, but I know what I mean). There were shriners and antique cars, marching bands and Little Miss Spat, there was even a man dressed as an oyster. At BHE's dad's house there was good company and wine and laughs all around. They are the most fun group of people to be around! Never a dull moment for sure and I am sure glad I got to spend time with them.
I believe they all headed back to Ann Marie's for a fish fry, but The Salesman and I had to head on back to the 'ville. I always miss the good parts, and I am for sure sorry I missed this one and look forward to reading all about it.
I sure hope you all had as fun of a weekend as I did! Can't wait to see all of them again!
Posted by mom x 2 at 5:29 PM
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Since Cheerleader Girl's competition team placed 2nd at their district competition last week, they advance to the regional competition which takes place tonight. Its another "last" for us. Possibly the VERY last competition she will compete in - ever. Only the top 4 of 16 teams advance to the state competition and who knows how CG's team will do. They have all but one of their original team members back from inury or illness (thank you H1N1), so that is a good thing, and we are expecting big things from them tonight!!
However, I am pretty sure the stars are not aligned correctly or something, because weird things are happening with sports in our area this year. Teams that haven't ever placed are winning district competitions and matches. Teams that haven't had a winning record in a lot of years are ranked top 10 in the area. Its good for those teams.... I am happy for them, it's just weird. It also leaves things WIDE open, which makes me, Psycho Cheer Mom, wondering if the stars will be aligned correctly tonight.
Posted by mom x 2 at 12:28 PM
Friday, October 30, 2009
- My kids high school football team plays their cross town rival tonight. I sure hope they win. Too bad CG won’t be cheering due to that LOVELY injured shoulder.
- I am a “cereal killer” at work today for Halloween. Lots of little cereal boxes taped to a shirt with plastic knives in them. Pretty clever huh? Yea, I thought so. I definitely stole the idea.
- I love when daylight savings time ends. It gives me an extra hour of sleep. Even though I will probably wake up an hour early anyway.
- I just finished reading “The Lost Symbol.” Interesting book, full of cool references.
- CG finally submitted her application to James Madison University. I am not diggin’ the whole application process. Well, actually, I’m not diggin’ the whole “going away to college” thing. Wonder if she would mind if I moved to the town in which she is going to college? Probably not? Dang it!
- Based on the drop in temperature and the change in the leaves on the trees, I believe autumn has finally arrived. I wasn’t aware the sun stopped shining during fall. I thought the grey set in during winter. Strange.
- I have no plans for Halloween. None, and for some reason, that seems strange.
- Do any of you have any plans? Have a Happy Halloween!
Posted by mom x 2 at 3:20 PM
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Well, for those wondering, Cheerleader Girl's competition team placed 2nd out of 6 in her district competition last night, only losing to the 1st place team by 4.5 points(240.5 to 236). After the many obstacles and challenges they faced over the last week, a 2nd place win will just have to do :) I am so proud of the job that all of them did, but especially my baby girl! Best part, I didn't cry and CG made it through without additional injury. Woo Hoo!
We will face the 1st place team again at the Regional competition next Wednesday.
Watch out Raiders.... there's a host of Hawks headed your way!
Posted by mom x 2 at 2:11 PM
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Posted by mom x 2 at 9:23 AM
Friday, October 23, 2009
I received this email from my mother, who received it from who knows, but it was really cool so I thought I would share.... Happy Friday everyone!! Have a great weekend!
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar.
3. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants...
4. Live with the 3 E's -- Energy, Enthusiasm and Empathy.
5. Make time to pray.
6. Play more games.
7. Read more books than you did in 2008.
8. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
9. Sleep for 7 hours.
10. Take a 10-30 minutes’ walk daily. And while you walk, smile.
11. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
12. Don't have negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
13. Don't overdo. Keep your limits.
14. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
15. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip.
16. Dream more while you are awake.
17. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
18. Forget issues of the past. Don't remind your partner with His/her mistakes of the past that will ruin your present happiness.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Don't hate others.
20. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present.
21. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
22. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
23. Smile and laugh more.
24. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree....
25. Call your family often.
26. Each day give something good to others.
27. Forgive everyone for everything.
28. Spend time w/ people over the age of 70 & under the age of 6.
29.. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
30. What other people think of you is none of your business.
31. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
32. Do the right thing!
33. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
34. GOD heals everything.
35. However good or bad a situation is, it will change..
36. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up..
37. The best is yet to come.
38. When you awake alive in the morning, thank GOD for it.
39. Your Inner most is always happy. So, be happy.
Last but not the least:
40. Please share this with everyone you care about, I just did.
Posted by mom x 2 at 12:55 PM
Thursday, October 22, 2009
- Is it really Thursday already?
- Cancun was amazing, except I was sick from the time I got there all the way up to.... uh, today? Actually, I am feeling much better, but still coughing- ugh, so over it!
- Work is surprisingly under control.... makes me wonder if the stars are not quite aligned?
- School is crazy for my kids right now. Does it really ever slow down.
- Who knew the college application process would be so unbelievably INSANE? Was I warned, probably. Did I heed that warning? Apparently not!
- I miss my friends terribly. Time seems to get away from us and it appears to be an impossible feat for us to get together. I hope they know I miss them.
- I'm going to a chocolate party at BHE's on Sunday..... yes you heard correctly. CHOCOLATE Party. 2 of my favorite words.... 3 if you include "BHE" :)
- Cheerleader Girl's last district cheer competition is next Tuesday. Can you say super nervous? and kinda sad :( with "last" being the key word.- Hopefully their team will not be plagued with the swine flu like a couple of other high school teams in the area.
- The Oyster Festival is coming up soon..... it seems like just yesterday the first weekend in November seemed eons away.... now, not so much! I hope all of my "Blisters" will come and we can have a mini reunion!
- Happy Thursday everyone..... anything going on in your worlds? This or That??
Posted by mom x 2 at 9:23 AM
Friday, October 2, 2009
- Its been a bunch of Fridays since the last time I posted
- There is never any extra time (or money) left over at the end of the day. Why is that?
- It's Homecoming at my kids high school this weekend. The cheerleaders and the parents are tailgating before the parade and game. I am bringing subs and chips for 40. That's a lot of food.
- I can't believe that next year this time Cheerleader Girl will be coming back from college(I hope) to particpate in the festivities and I will no longer be a cheer parent.
- Bud is actually going to the dance this year for the first time.
- It's perfect football weather! Warm till the sun goes down, then the fall temps set in.
- I get to see BHE tonight..... first time in 908752942 days!
- The Salesman and I leave for Cancun in 9 days. I haven't really thought about the fact that this trip is coming up so fast since I have been trying to catch up to today.
- Do you ever wonder where the people going through the drive through at a fast food restaurant are going? Am I the only one that does that?
- I got a new car. It's pretty and I love it!
- I wonder if my boss reads my blog? I hope not, because then I would probably get busted for blogging during work hours, even if it is my lunch hour.
- Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!!
Posted by mom x 2 at 1:37 PM
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Been crazy busy with school starting, The Salseman out of town, college stuff, senior stuff, cheerleading stuff, new driver stuff and now wrestling practices- already. It all seems too much to think about let alone write about.... I'm still around, and I'll be back when the world stops spinning at mach speeds and only spins at a speed equivelant to reckless driving.
Posted by mom x 2 at 9:31 AM
Friday, August 28, 2009
- My daughter had her senior portraits done last week and we are anxiously awaiting the user id and password from the photographer so we can actually see the gagillion picures she took.
- I received an email this morning listing 25 ways to tell if you are old. You know what? I read that damn list TWICE and every single one applied to me!
- I am pretty sure Virginia has the most oblivious drivers in all fo the US. I thought for sure whn you took driver's ed you learned that the left lane is the PASSING LANE. So if you are in THAT lane going slower than the people in the right lane, GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY! Sorry for yelling, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine!
- I really want a Blackberry Curve. I just got a new cell phone, but I wish I had gotten the Blackberry. I haven't quite figured out how I can talk The Salesman into buying me one since my phone is not even 6 months old. Any suggestions?
- It really bothers my husband and I spend so much time, effort and money on taking care of our lawn, only to have the neighbors spread their weeds in our yard. Use the weed whacker and bag your grass! You only have a postage stamp size lot for Heaven's sake.
- I love sommer, but I am ready for cooler weather and less humidity. I am pretty much over the HHH effect. Hazy. Hot. Humid. It would be nice to actually walk out the front door and not have my glasses fogged up immediately.
- Is it time for the Oyster Festival yet?
Posted by mom x 2 at 11:29 AM
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Posted by mom x 2 at 10:41 AM
Monday, August 24, 2009
After an extremely stressful week with The Salesman being away, I was extremely glad for the weekend to arrive.
Saturday night was an amazing one spent with BHE, MPM and CBW (huh, lots of initials there). We spent a great evening
stuffing our faces with eating piles of wonderful food and a few bottles sips of wine, and best of all, lots and lots of laughs! BHE’s plans to have dinner with Mental P after she dropped her lovely daughter off at UVA were intensified when she included both CBW and Bud and Cool Breeze, and myself of course, as a surprise to Mama. I sooo wish I'd had my camera in hand when I looked up and saw her face! SURPRISE = priceless!!!! It was so good to just relax with good friends, good food and good wine, even though I think there was some talk from the waiter about how we couldn’t have anymore wine?
Sunday proved to be just as amazing because The Salesman finally arrived home after being gone almost the entire month of August. It is really, really good to have him home. I have some updates on my FIL, but for once I would like to end a post on a happier note, so I am going to leave those details for another day.
What did you do this weekend?
Posted by mom x 2 at 1:58 PM
Thursday, August 20, 2009
I’m kind of angry with God right now. I don’t usually get mad at Him, but 2 grandparents in one summer is just not fair. My Father in law is not fairing well, and although we are still waiting on the results from all of the tests, the prognosis doesn’t look good.
And I am sad.
I am sad that my husband is ½ country away and is having to deal with all of this and I can’t be there to comfort him.
I am sad that my children may have to deal with the death of another grandparent, even though they are not close. It is a two-fold thing. The loss of another, and the painful memory of the loss of the last.
At the same time, I feel guilty. Life here is continuing, while life in Indiana/Chicago is suffering. We still go to work, go to practice, go out to dinner, live our lives.
I feel guilty for being happy that my son has a new girlfriend that he seems to really like.
I feel guilty for being ecstatic that my daughter made both varsity and competition cheerleading and is Captain on both teams. Finally.
I feel guilty for being excited for school to start. For my daughter to start her senior year and for my son to start is junior one.
I feel guilty for looking forward for good things to come this school year.
I feel guilty for wishing my husband was home, instead of several states away when I know the right thing for him to do is to be with his mom and brothers right now.
I feel guilty for not being there with him and his family as they make these life decisions, and I feel guilty that I am thankful I don’t have to make them.
And I don’t know if I am wrong to feel all of these things, including the guilt. I feel as if things are spinning out of control, and there doesn’t seem to be a way to make the spinning stop. I just want time to slow down a little and let me catch my breath.
Posted by mom x 2 at 10:31 AM
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Unfortunately, Momx2's family has been struck again by cancer. The Salesman's father has had bone cancer for quite sometime, and recently has taken a turn for the worst. A couple years ago, the doctors replace his pelvis and upper thigh bone with a titanium rod and within another year had to remove more of the bone in his leg and replace that as well. The type of tumor he has is called Chondrosarcoma and although can be treated, sort of, it is not uncommon for it to mestastasize in the lungs and lymph nodes. We are afraid that we have reached that stage. His lymph nodes are enlarged and they have found a few spots in his lungs. The x-rays and mri SEEM to indicate that the spots may only be blood clots and that perhaps the lymph nodes are as a result of the excruciating pain that he is currently in. We should have results for the 40gagillion tests they ran earlier this week on Wed or Thursday. We are just praying for something positive, whatever God decides that should be. The Salesman has only been home 2 days out of the last 2 weeks and is not due to return home again until next Sunday. Needless to say, Momx2 is quite stressed out.
On a lighter note, CG has recently made both the Competition cheering and the Varsity cheering teams at school, and as team mom, Momx2 has been busy meeting with coaches, other parents etc. to try and get ready for the last year of cheering.
So to all you bloggers out there, that might be missing Momx2, rest assured, she is still around.
Although she is not sure when her blog became written by a personal assistant that she must be getting for free, because she dang sure ain't paying her.
Momx2's personal assistant who, as previously stated, ain't gettin' paid!
Posted by mom x 2 at 2:29 PM
Monday, August 10, 2009
Oh no!! Should we look for her?
Perhaps she has lapsed into another blog fog and just hasn’t had the energy to post. That sounds lame, but I have it on good authority that it is a possibility. Don’t worry, I bet she will turn up eventually. She would like to assure you she has been reading your posts, and although has only commented on a few, she really is paying attention. I heard that she has been super busy at work, and really lazy at home. I bet she’ll be back soon, I hear she has lots to talk about.
Mom x 2’s Personal Assistant
(I am sure if she had a personal assistant, that this is what she would tell you.)
Posted by mom x 2 at 3:56 PM
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Oh and as a side note.... Check out the article in the Glouster-Mathews Gazette-Journal!
Posted by mom x 2 at 8:30 PM
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
I am finally coming out of my Blog Fog, and see sunny skies ahead. I am in definite need of a happy post, so I thought it was about time I wrote about Blogfest! Unfortunately, I have managed to delete all of my pictures (don’t ask how, I. Have. No. Idea!) But…. Lucky for me, there are lots of people that
were much smarter than me took lots of them, and managed NOT to delete them. So you will have to do like I do, and live vicariously through their blogs.
Unfortunately, my stay was cut short, and you must know I was EXTREMELY disappointed. Apparently I missed the some of best days, but you can read about them here, or here, or you can go here and get the links to all the blog stories. But for the time I did spend, it was an amazing experience and I have never met a more fun, caring, wonderful bunch of women (and a couple men). I am very thankful that I was able to put faces with names and to realize they really don’t just live in my computer. They are real people, with real lives and real families. Just. Like. Me!
I arrived at the home of our gracious host CBW to find our other gracious host BHE pouring herself a glass of wine and knew right away I was in the right place! As I attempted to get myself settled after my trek from the Ville, I noticed what an incredible spread of delicious food.
Leave it to me to notice the food first. I mean people drove from freaking Maine and Connecticut and flew from the West Coast and Canada for goodness sake, and I am all about the food..... I have to admit though, it was easier to find comfort with the food then with my own awkward self in a house full of people who, up until that very moment, lived in my computer. I soon realized there was no reason to be nervous, maybe it was the Cactus Lime Michelob, but no matter. I was perfectly comfortable just hangin' out with my newly found friends. It struck me as nothing short of amazing that these incredible women would travel from Connecticut, NYC, Canada, Seattle, Texas, Maine, Maryland and California to meet people that live in their computer too.
The next day was our amazing tour of Mathews by our wonderful host. We went to New Point and Bethel Beach. The sites are just amazing.
We saw a Tabernacle which was quite an interesting site. I wonder if they still worship there? We had the most delicious lunch at Chef Todd's in Mathews Courthouse. I was so impressed with them! When 16+
Unfortunately, it was time for me to head out, but they continued on. I will forever remember my trip to Mathews and the amazing friends I made there. I cannot wait for next year! Wonder where it will be?
Posted by mom x 2 at 3:38 PM
Monday, July 27, 2009
My children never cease to amaze me with their strength and their tenacity. Over the last few days, they have faced challenges that will forever be a part of them. (Most of which I believe are better left unsaid.) Last Monday night, I got the call that their Grandmother had passed away. They have cried for their loss, and they have tried to be grateful that she is no longer suffering. But it has been hard. Both kids were extremely close to her, and as the only grandchildren, they were the apple of her eye. CG summed it up when she read the following at the funeral on Friday…..
“To describe my Grandma in one sentence is pretty much impossible. She was nothing short of incredible to me, my brother and anyone who touched her heart. She was so stubborn and anyone who was close with her can verify that, but she was also the solid rock of the family.I cried as she and her brother stood before a packed funeral home and with all the strength and courage they could master, said goodbye to their grandmother.
I’ll always remember her amazing Freckles cooking, the many lessons she taught me and her ability to make me laugh in any given situation.
After my grandma was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, she was still a ball of spitfire and always amazed me with her strength.
Overall, she was strong, good hearted and most of all…. My hero. I’ll be missing her presence, but in my heart she’s as close to me as ever.
I love you Grandma!
Always and Forever!”
We’ll all be missin’ you Sue…… Rest in peace.
Posted by mom x 2 at 3:41 PM
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
As BHE calls it, I am in "Blog Fog." I think that means I don't have the energy, or maybe it's the ability to find words, or put them together, or something along those lines. At any rate, I seem to be suffering from all of the above.
I have lots to write about and much to tell, but there has been a lot going on around here, and finding time to put it all into words seems to be a difficult task.
I highly recommend you visit the blogs of the some of the most wonderful women of which I have had the privilege to meet and spend time with! They are amazing!
Posted by mom x 2 at 11:43 AM
Sunday, July 19, 2009
I haven't yet had a chance to post about BlogFest, and I promise I will. But we've had some rather sad news we are trying to handle here in the Crazy World.
Last March, my kids grandmother, my ex's mom, was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. While my kids have little to do with their dad, we have all stayed close with their grandma. She took the news remarkably well, but no matter how you look at it, it sucks! The doctors were able to remove 95% of her tumor, but there still remained that dreadful 5%. She never spoke about it though. She just lived her life. I'll neve forget the day we talked to the oncologist for the first time and he gave her the odds. She said, "Well, I guess we will have to beat those odds!" For the last year or so, there have been chemo treatments and a few minor setbacks, but overall, has led a fairly normal life- whatever normal is.
Over the last few weeks, we have seen a significant downturn in her health. She started to lose more of her eyesight, her balance became more unstable and dementia has slowly taken over. Last week she was hospitalized in the hospice unit. She is an extremely tolerant woman with a will stronger than I have ever seen. It pains me to see her so small and frail just fade away. It breaks my heart for her "grandbabies" to see her suffer. CG and Bud, her only grandchildren, put up a brave front, but it hurts them like nothing they have ever felt before. I pray every day for God to help them through this most difficult time.
Thank you for reading, and please keep Grandma Sue in your thoughts and prayers.
Posted by mom x 2 at 7:35 PM
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Well the day has finally arrived that some
crazy amazing women will finally meet. Some of them already know each other as friends or family, some have only read about each other on their own blogs. No matter the relationship today, it is for sure going to be different after this weekend.
I was so excited to be heading out to this wonderful event that I packed yesterday. I still have to work today, and it might be quite difficult to stay focused, but I'm trying.
- Camera a
- Alcohol a
- Flip Flops a
I'm pretty sure that's as good as it gets.....
Can't wait to meet those ladies, and we're sure going to miss those that can't be there.
Posted by mom x 2 at 9:24 AM
Monday, July 13, 2009
It's been a whirlwind of a weekend. First let me apologize for the delay in this post but it has taken me a bit to recover from this past weekend.
Some of you may (or may not) know that I had a birthday on Sunday. I love birthdays because
I love presents it beats the alternative. We usually celebrate birthdays with a small gathering of family but nothing over the top. Well, not so much this year. Apparently my wonderful, amazing husband thought that this milestone birthday deserved a little more.
A few weeks ago, The Salesman called me at work and told me to take Friday July 10 off. I asked why
a gajillion times but never got a response. Just a "Do it, or I will call your boss and do it for you." Yes Sir!! All week leading up to that I have no idea what's in store for me day I kept asking what I was going to be doing? NO ONE WOULD TALK. I tried everything from grounding only to be lifted by Dad to waterboarding and still - NOTHING!
When the big day arrived I was told to dress casual, but nice, and to wear a blindfold! WHAT? I don't do well with my face covered, but
because I am the best sport in the world I obliged. In the car we go to God only knows where. "Don't take the blindfold off until we get you out of the car" they said. Okay???? I cannot begin to describe my complete shock and excitement surprise when they removed my blindfold and in my face was my BROTHER from ATLANTA!! and his awesome girlfriend!!(I'll call him "Mr. ATL" and her "Mrs. ATL" even though they aren't married, but they should be and that is a post all in itself). My husband had managed to work with them to get them here to surprise me. Let me just say, out of all the things I had racked my brains to come up with regarding my surprise... that was not even on the list!
I could say that my post was coming to a close, but then I would be lying. After we arrived home, and I was still trying to process the fact that Mr. and Mrs ATL were here, The Salesman, CG and Bud were trying to get dinner ready. There had been a couple trips to the grocery store, a few phone calls, but nothing out of the ordinary considering the fact that we had company the for me was unexpected. I was just sitting there
smiling so big my cheeks hurt playing with the dogs, and all of sudden I heard this strange voice behind me. At first I thought it was The Salesman making fun of me (not something unusual by the way) and when I turned around I almost peed my pants was TOTALLY SURPRISED AGAIN!!!!!! There standing in my kitchen was my DAD and stepmom from HOUSTON! My brother and his girlfriend- also from Houston and my sister and her husband from TULSA! Yes, my wonderful amazing husband had managed to corral ALL OF MY FAMILY!!!!! here for my birthday! I was so surprised I literally could not comprehend it all. I haven't seen any of them since last year and except for Mr and Mrs ATL, none of them had been to Virginia in at least 7 or 8 years. I was THRILLED!!!! to say the least.
The rest of the weekend played out wonderfully with the opportunity to spend time with my family, and of course the party of the year (more on that later).
On a different note- BLOGFEST this weekend!!!! I can't wait to meet everyone! It's going to be a blast. I am sure there will be many posts next week to document
the craziness how much trouble fun it was!
Posted by mom x 2 at 9:45 AM
Thursday, July 9, 2009
- My birthday is Sunday. I'm turning 40 - ugh, I know I shouldn't, but I feel old.
- There has been a lot of secret keeping going on in my house lately. Birthday secrets maybe?
- I have new furniture on my front porch and I love it. I love to sit out there in the evenings when it finally cools down. No one else in my house seems to have the same appreciation for it, but they humor me anyway.
- I have decided my favorite ice cream is Bruster's Key Lime Pie. I'm pretty sure there are no calories in it, and if you out there in bloggy world know differently- DON'T TELL ME! What I don't know won't hurt me will it?
- I have taken almost every Friday in July off. I wonder how long it will be before people notice I am on a 4 day work week.
- Blogfest is in one week. I am pretty excited to meet everyone and it should be alot of fun. I can't wait to read all of the post Blogfest posts.
- BHE's birthday was yesterday. We are going to have BLAST celebrating our birthdays together this weekend ;)
- I wonder if there will be Karoke? Did you know Karoke means "empty orchestra" in Japenese?
- Mexico and Iceland have the highest consumption per capita of Coca Cola. I prefer Pepsi and I know that's not a Southern thing, but I don't care, I just like it better.
Have a great Thursday everyone!
Posted by mom x 2 at 8:53 AM
Monday, July 6, 2009
Once we arrived at the beach, all was well.
We spent and entire afternoon on the beach, soakin’ up the rays, waiting for the infamous Kenny to show up with a fruity drink. He never did show. I guess he was
hanging out with some other lucky chick and forgot his date with us getting ready for the AMAZING performance he was going to give the next day. Anywho, the girls and Mom and I had a GREAT day on the beach. We went to an awesome dinner on the waterfront and had some of the best crabcakes! Nothing better than crabcakes from the Chesapeake Bay!
And topped it off with this TollHouse Cookie Pie! Yummy :)
Our walk on the boardwalk after returning to our hotel left all of us
with extremely over worked abs and cheeks exhausted from the hysterical laughing we did.
Thursday proved to be just as amazing! The weather was perfect...
And the concert- UNBELIEVABLE!
This is Cheerleader Girl (left) and Snow White (right) waiting patiently for it to start. I swear they are not related. Lady Antebellum opened up, followed by Miranda Lambert. Both of them were great! It’s awesome to go to a concert and have the performer actually sound like they do on the radio.
After 2 really good days at the beach and an amazing concert, it was time to head home on Friday :( As sad as we were to leave, it is always nice to go home. The trip home proved to be just as adventurous as the trip there. This time SEVEN mile back up. So, I'm back on the phone with The Salesman, asking again for another detour. At least this time I didn't have to turn around. We managed to take this road and that road, this tunnel, that bridge, another tunnel and then back on the other side of the back up. I am not sure what it is about that Tidewater area, but I feel for those that live there. I would be
Let's seeeeee... what else has Momx2 been up to? I'm not really sure- that's scary!
Posted by mom x 2 at 3:06 PM
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
HE WILL BE THERE!
Not on the beach with me of course, unless I can somehow
kidnap him and hold him hostage while we sip pina colodas talk his manager and body guards into letting him hang out with us. I mean who wouldn't want to do that, right? But we will definitely see him in our dreams handcuffed to a beach chair with a smile on his face as he realizes he is with 4 of the most amazing females on the East Coast in concert!
I. Can. Not. Wait!!!!
Photo borrowed from
my dreams http://www.ramblestrip.com/kennychesney.jpg
Posted by mom x 2 at 11:45 AM
Sunday, June 21, 2009
This was taken yesterday after celebrating his 16th birthday.
I am so proud of the young man he has become.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUD!!
Posted by mom x 2 at 7:04 AM
Friday, June 19, 2009
Posted by mom x 2 at 2:17 PM
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Did you ever hear of such a thing?
Posted by mom x 2 at 12:00 PM
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Hallie over at Wonderful World of Weiners is having a raffle for a great cause.
Looks like there are a ton of great prizes....... You might want to enter :)
Click here for details. Below is her comment left on a previous post.
I was wondering if you might be willing to mention my raffle/fundraiser. I would NOT ask if it wasn't for a great cause. Plus, there are over 90 donated prizes to win totaling over $3000.00! And who doesn't like to win??It's really a win-win for everyone. People get to help me meet my fundraising goal AND potentionally win big.PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE clickover and enter my raffle!! You can truly win TONS OF PRIZES (totaling over $3000.00 - gift cards, Starbucks coffee maker, $600 in camping equipment, gorgeous jewelry and more).
It's for a great cause….http://www.firstgiving.com/hallietwomey
6 years ago my Dad received a new heart.
This is my way of giving back.
Posted by mom x 2 at 10:07 AM
Monday, June 15, 2009
Hubby home from visiting his parents in Indiana - CHECK
sort of - CHECK
Hardwood floors scrubbed - CHECK
Grass Mowed - CHECK (thanks Bud- you're a good son)
Kitchen Cabinets cleaned out - CHECK!!!!!! Thanks Mom :)
Pool Time - CHECK
Laundry Done -
Finally watched Slum Dog Millionaire - CHECK Great movie by the way :)
Happy Monday everyone!!!
Posted by mom x 2 at 12:00 PM
Friday, June 12, 2009
I wish I could find the link for Friday Fragments......
The Salesman is out of town this weekend, and I thought I would work on getting some stuff done around the house. As if we haven't already been doing that for the last hundred weekends. But Mom is coming over to help organize kitchen cabinets.... she should have been a professional organizer. It's something she loves, why I'll never know, but she does. So, because she does, she wants to help.
My kids are officially out of school today. Cheerleader Girl will be a Senior next year and Bud a Junior... not sure I am ready for that.
I love summer. Warm weather makes me happy. I should move to Florida where it is warm all the time, but I don't like hurricanes.
I am only 1 week and 6 days away from the Kenny Chesney concert. Have you noticed I really
am obsessed with love Kenny?
I have trouble making up my mind about my layout for my blog. Duh, that explains why it has changed 3 times in as many days.
I like the layout I have now, I think I'll keep it.
trying to selling our boat. I am not sure if I am happy or sad about that.
I wish I hadn't asked Mom to come over tomorrow to help with cabinets. I would really love to spend the day being lazy at the pool.
Any big plans for you this weekend? Want to come help with the cabinets?
Posted by mom x 2 at 11:36 AM
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Posted by mom x 2 at 8:45 AM
Monday, June 8, 2009
This past weekend, the Salesman and I decided that it was time to repurpose a couple rooms in our house. We have a 3 story house, with the 3rd floor being the room that the kids can go and hang out with their friends, it's where we
pretended to exercise worked out, where we used to have 2 computers (with laptops, there was no need for a space for computers) and where all of the school supplies, games, etc were stored. In other words, a big junk room.
Then there is the
second junk room spare bedroom. No one visits, so it has become a drop off room. The room where everything everyone is to lazy to take to the big junk room 3rd floor.
So we decided this weekend to repurpose those two rooms. The Salesman says he had the idea 2 years ago and I shot it down, I disagree. Anyway, we decided to start Friday night by cleaning out the spare bedroom and moving everything out so we would have somewhere to put the weight machine. Did I mention the weight machine has 200 pounds of weight and who knows how many cables and pulleys? Well, it does, and it was a pain in the a$$ to put it together when we bought it, why we thought it would be a simple task to take it apart and then put it BACK together is beyond me. So with the spare bedroom cleaned out, we started labeling cables and pulleys and more cables and more pulleys. I thought we would never finish. Then it was time to take it apart and haul it downstairs (thank goodness it was down not up). Then it was time to put it back together. Okay, you would think that after the time we spent labeling pulleys and cables, putting it together would be a breeze right? WRONG! It took FOREVER! Finally after 2 days we finished everything- including cleaning out the
trash pile crazy corner on the 3rd floor. Talk about a job, but what a transformation!
It is amazing to me how a
major overhaul little cleaning and moving of furniture can completely change an entire living space.
Below are the pictures of the before(left) and after (right).
Now I just have to find the energy to actually exercise!
Posted by mom x 2 at 9:16 PM
After 6 years of All Star Cheerleading, Cheerleader Girl and I found out today that her all star gym will no longer offer a senior team. Due to lower sign ups this past year, partly because of the current state of our economy I am sure, the owner/director felt it was in the best interest to combine the junior and senior teams. What this means to us is there is no team for which CG meets the age requirements. As a result, there will be no more all star cheering for her. In the long run, this will be a good thing for our family, since cheerleading is an expensive and extremely time consuming sport. However, it was quite a shock to get the news. It would have been CG’s last year of all star cheerleading, and to be informed that LAST year was the end of the road, is disappointing. Had we known that her last competition would have been the end, we would have celebrated it as, the end. As it turned out it was more like “Good Job girls, see you next year.” Now, there will be nothing. Sure there are other gyms in the area, but when you have been with the same program for 6 years, it just wouldn’t be the same. The positive spin on it, is that she will be able to start her senior year with one less burden. She will still cheer for her high school for both competition and for sideline, but will have much more time on her hands, and we will have much more money in our pockets. I will miss those cheer weekends, where it was just she and I together at competitions, but I am glad we had the times together.
As time passes on, I realize this is only the first of many “endings” to come.
Posted by mom x 2 at 1:04 PM
Thursday, June 4, 2009
School is coming to a close next week for Bud and Cheerleader Girl and I am actually really excited. I love the fact that my children are old enough to clean the house and do laundry and mow grass and what ever other
fun things chores I can come up with for them to do through out the day.
They will both be working this summer which is a new for us. Last year CG worked babysitting, but Bud was
lazy busy doing nothing but hanging out. This year, not so much. CG’s working at an ice cream shop, which she loves, but the hours are never consistent, and Bud is chillin’ working at the pool. It will be hard to keep up with them, but somehow we will manage.
The one disappointment I do have about them being
partially gainfully employed is that their schedules will probably never be the same so it will be impossible really difficult to do things as a family. Especially Bud, who will most likely work every weekend. We have always enjoyed being able to go boating on the weekends, or head off to the beach for a weekend getaway. This year that probably won’t be possible. And most definitely a family vacation will be out of the question. Bud is already taking a week to go to wrestling camp, and CG a week to go to a leadership conference (both with out the parents of course) not to mention that cheer stuff starts 24/7 for CG the second week of August. We will manage, I suppose with a few days here or there, or a spontaneous "OMG you don’t have to work today, let’s go do something." I’m actually thinking of starting a list of “Things To Do This Summer” and when the time arises, just go do them. This list looks something like this:
Posted by mom x 2 at 10:41 AM
Monday, June 1, 2009
But this better describes their personalities. Silly and ridiculous :)
They had just a few people in their group...
Posted by mom x 2 at 8:11 PM
Friday, May 29, 2009
It's Friday! Thank Goodness. Even though this was a short week, I am fairly confident I could not manage another day at work. (Well I could if I have to, but it's a good thing I don't)
It's prom weekend for Cheerleader Girl. I'm very excited for her, as she seems to be extremely excited as well. Tomorrow starts early for hair and makeup appointments, all just for pictures. Why do they do that again? Her dress is gorgeous! I can't wait to see her all "dolled" up :)
WeThe Salesman are finishing the fence this weekend(thank you Thompson's water seal). He power washed it, and the back and front porches last weekend. Hope the rain holds out. It's an icky job.
I realized this week that all of the shows we typically record on our DVR have all ended for the season. I realized this because my DVR is only 4% full. That just sucked. And the only show with a half way good ending was 24. I will be really pissed off if Jack Bauer dies! We have started watching Harper's Island (thank goodness for OnDemand). It's really, really good.
I am super excited about the Kenny Chesney concert and 3 days at the beach with CG and Snow White (boo BHE! for not coming). June 24 can not get here fast enough.
I have seen a remarkable difference in the level of responsibilty shown by Bud since he got a job. Whooda thunk it? Should have made him start working years ago, but I think there is something about child labor laws? Dang it!
I realized at Girls weekend, that the mosquitos LOVE Sex on the Beach. (It's a drink just in case you were wondering why I was having sex on the beach at "girls" weekend).
Have a great weekend all!!!
Posted by mom x 2 at 11:55 AM
Thursday, May 21, 2009
I was recently told I was a "High Maintenance Woman," by the Salesman (who said it with the utmost adoration of course). It doesn't bother me, because honestly I am a particularly picky
controlling woman who just wants it her way knows what she wants. Does that really make me High Maintenance? I don't think so.
High Maintenace could be defined by some as needy, fussy, whiny (I do get kinda whiny sometimes), hard to please, not easily impressed (it doesn't take much for me to be impressed, really it doesn't) attention grabbing, difficult to deal with, troublesome, demanding, inconsiderate, and stuck on themselves. Only a couple of those actually apply to me ;)
After listening to the women in our office today complain about the infestion of velvet mites(which hang out on the bricks outside) in our 3rd floor office , which actually amounts to one on someone's desk, I realized I am not high maintenance AT ALL. They actually want our company to pay high dollar for an exterminator to come INSIDE to spray for OUTSIDE bugs on the THIRD floor, and they want to close the office when they do, because the insecticides will cause breathing problems. ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Do they watch the news?? 5+ million people out of work, and they want what?? These women around here are EXTREMELY high maintenance. They are the whinniest, pickiest, fussiest, uptight, bunch of complaining women ON THIS PLANET! Grrrrrr!!!
So hubby comes home tomorrow! YEA! It's about time, because I need him to do somethings for me, like spray for bugs.......
Posted by mom x 2 at 2:37 PM