Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Mother's Realization






This is Cheerleader Girl. Many of you may already know her, or maybe you have heard me talk about her. She is the oldest of my two children, and is leaving for college in less than 2 weeks. I told a good friend of mine just recently that the ability to deny that fact is quickly becoming a thing of the past. We have packed up almost all of her stuff- and believe me, it’s enough to fill an 18 wheeler a lot, and she is ready to make the journey.

This process is bittersweet. I am so very excited to see her set out on her own and make her way in this world, but I am sad to know that my little girl is growing up. She has turned into a remarkable young woman and I know that she will make good decisions, along with a few bad ones. She will make mistakes, but I can only hope she will learn from them. Someone once told me, this was a natural progression, and as much as I believe that, it’s going to be hard. I am proud of her and look forward to watching her continue to grow as she pursues her dreams.


But, damn, I’m going to miss her.

To Cheerleader girl… in the words of Rascal Flatts:
My wish for you,
Is that life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small,
And you never need to carry more than you can hold.

I love you Cheerleader Girl!

7 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

This made me tear up. I know you are going to miss her terribly...I will be in this spot next year, and don't know HOW I will deal.

ps. She is SO flippin' gorgeous too...best of luck to her in all she does.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

OK I need a tissue. Between you and BHE I wont have a tear left by the time Little T goes off to college. This is a wonderful photo of you abd CG! I just love it!
All the best CG and know you are loved!
<><

Big Hair Envy said...

Beautiful photo!! **sniff** **sniff** I'm right there with you. **sniff** **sniff** When I get back from TX, we need to get together for a good cry. **sniff** **sniff** And wine. **sniff** **sniff**

foolery said...

What a gorgeous girl! And I can see where she gets her looks -- DAMN, lady. GREAT photo.

I've already planned ahead nine years and started crying now. ; )

Diane said...

I don't know how you do it. Watching K2 leave will rip my heart right out. K3 is never leaving me!

I think learning to give my adult children space is one of the hardest parenting skills.

Good luck CG!

Now, go have a glass of wine and toast your girl!

HalfAsstic.com said...

What a beautiful young lady! Both of you! :-)

Meg McCormick said...

I can't imagine sending my birdies out of the nest, and yet, my oldest is only 4 years away, and I know it will fly by. I look forward to hearing from you (and BHE) about the transition for both the parents and the babies!