Thursday, December 24, 2009
Thursday, December 17, 2009
1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Holiday spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.
2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. It's rare.. You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!
3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.
4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.
5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Holiday party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?
6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.
7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.
9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.
10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Re-read tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner. Remember this motto to live by:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. Rather one should skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Posted by mom x 2 at 8:50 AM
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Posted by mom x 2 at 9:43 PM
Saturday, December 12, 2009
I've recently reconnected with old friends from high school, and one of them has started her very own blog. Hopefully she won't share all of the stories from high school haha. Actually, she probably won't share any since it's not that kind of blog. But, all of YOU, should head on over and check it out! Talk about being in the Christmas spirit! Adventures in Decorating is definitely going to get you there!!
Posted by mom x 2 at 3:05 PM
Friday, December 11, 2009
Oh my goodness! It's Friday ! AGAIN! ALREADY? WtH?
- Been super busy- as if my lack of posting is not already an indication of that, but thought I would at least put it out there in case there might be someone who thinks I've not been busy and just been neglecting all of you....
- High school football is over. Our boys (not mine, I have a cheerleader and a wrestler remember) were the regional champs this year for the 2nd time in 3 years! That's pretty amazing for a school that has only been around since 2003. Plus just 4 years ago they were 0-10. That's real bad!- Anyway, they played in the state semi final game against a team that was ranked 25 in the nation and was on a 28 game winning streak in the FREAZING freakin' rain on a MUDDY field! They lost. But only by 3 points. So, the season is over. But it was a heck of a ride. No more cheering for football. Cheerleader girl is sad, but warm and dry.
- BUD GOT HIS LICENSE. I feel the need to shout that from the roof tops for all of my town to hear so they can be on the look out of that red mustang coming down the road! Ha, just kidding Bud (not that you read this or anything). I am so proud of him! He was so tired of depending on his sister to take him everywhere. Now, not so much :)
- Wrestling season has started. I love that my son plays a sport. Wrestling is not my favorite sport though. I love, love, love, to watch MY son wrestle, but not everyone else's son (or daughter, let me please not discriminate against the girls out there). So now I will get the opportunity again... because, well, wrestling season has started. The good thing though, Bud will have a starting spot on the Varsity team (assuming he can make weight).... FINALLY after lots and lots of wrestling matches.
- The Christmas decorations are up! 2 trees and lots of other stuff. Too bad there won't be many presents under the tree thanks to CG's accident and Bud's license. Maybe I could wrap up match box car replicas of their cars. Think that will fly? Well it just may have to. We are in a recession after all.
- My husband got invited to the inauguration of our new governor. I think that's pretty cool, even though I am not sure what he did to get an "official" invite. Ha- everyone probably got one, but I still think its cool. I've never been to an inauguration. What does one wear? Maybe I should ask the Salahis.
- I heard Tiger Woods is changing his name to Cheetah. I thought it was an appropriate change under the circumstances. So far none of the women he has been accused of having affairs with have been "cougars." I mean if they were he could start his own zoo.
- I think I am out of stuff to talk about, well probably not, but that's enough for now.....I'll move on now and try not to be away for so long next time!
Happy Friday everyone!
Posted by mom x 2 at 2:40 PM